Friday, July 6, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract

There is nothing easier in the world than making vanilla extract.  Seriously once you see how easy it is you will never buy it again.  It involves very few ingredients and takes almost no time to assemble. Here is what you need:

 - A clean jar with a lid (I used an old Rose's jar because I liked the embossing)
 - 3 whole vanilla beans (tip buy them at Cost Plus if you have one they are cheap there)
 - 1 cup Vodka (the cheaper the better)

Split the vanilla beans down the center and scrape out the vanilla.  Add the scrapings and beans to the jar. Pour in the vodka.  Put the lid on and give it a good shake.  Now is the longest part of the process let sit in a cool dark place for 6 to 8 weeks. The longer it sits the stronger it will be.  That's it now you have vanilla extract for all of your baking needs.  And if you run low just add more vodka to the bottle and let it sit again. 

Here is my extract after I added more vodka.  It will need to sit for a couple of weeks until I can use it again but you can see it already has that beautiful carmel color. 

Oh and we will all pretend that I actually removed all of the label from the original bottle. Linked up at:
Today's Creative Blog

5 comments:

Brandi said...

Wow! I had no idea it was that easy!

Brianne said...

I know when I have been making it for so long that when I went decided to post it I had to check the recipe like 3 times to make sure I wasnt forgetting anything.

Unknown said...

Love this
New follower from Musings of an imperfect mom

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Love this! Would love for you to share this at our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party...just posted it!
http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/07/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_19.html

Mackenzie said...

I never knew you could make this! How cool! Thanks for sharing this! We'd love to invite you to join us at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know everyone will love this! Have a great weekend!
Mackenzie :)
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/

Post a Comment